Since 2017 is nearly over, I thought it would be a good time to do the end of year Book Survey, as a way to wrap up the year. This is hosted by Jamie at The Perpetual Page-Turner. It is a great time to look back on my reading and blogging year. I get to see all the books I have read, authors I have discovered, events I attended and so much else. I did accomplish quite a lot this year and I’m extremely proud of that.
Number Of Books You Read: 175
Number of Re-Reads: 7
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy
1. Best Book You Read In 2017?
(If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2017 release vs. backlist)
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Antisocial was just so terrible for a lot of reasons, You can read my full review here.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
This one is a bit tough, because I rarely “push” people to read something. But the book I’ve been “pushing” on people the most would be the Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue. So, if you haven’t read it, go read it. It is hilarious and emotional, with incredible characters and a great story.
5. Best series you started in 2017? Best Sequel of 2017? Best Series Ender of 2017?
Series started: The Case Study of Vanitas by Jun Mochizuki
Sequel: The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater & Lord of Shadows
Series Ender: The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater
6. Favourite new author you discovered in 2017?
Too hard to narrow it down! Check out my New-to-me Authors I read for the first time in 2017
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
I don’t typically read Nonfiction. I wasn’t planning on ever reading this, but I found the Audiobook of it, so I decided to give it a try and I really enjoyed it.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
I could not put it down, and just loved it! I’d seen a lot of positive reviews of this and people talking about it. But it was so unexpected, it actually surpassed my expectations.
9. Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
I don’t re-read books, but I will be re-reading these next month for the Manga Madness Read-a-thon that I will be hosting. Click on the link if you’d like to check out my Announcement Post.
10. Favourite cover of a book you read in 2017?
There are lot of good ones, but I don’t want to keep repeating answers, so I’m going to say The Case Study of Vanitas. I love these Covers so much. They’re so pretty, I Love the colours!
11. Most memorable character of 2017?
Vanitas from The Case Study of Vanitas. Vanitas is such a bubbly character, but sometimes he seems like a psychopath. He’s such an interesting Character.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2017?
I don’t know how I feel about this book yet, but the writing style is absolutely incredible! Very whimsical and fairytale-like.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017?
This book helped me understand myself better and made me feel better about myself in a difficult time. I once again learned that every path has a value, also a quiet one and a whispering voice is not less valid, just less loud. If you consider yourself an introvert and doubt your own worth in comparison with more outgoing or established people, this is for you. If you are in any way interested in the introvert – extrovert spectrum, this will give you some very good understanding.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read?
15. Favourite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2017?
“Even the stars are lies. They sparkle so brightly, but their shine takes years to reach us.” – Made of Stars, Kelley York
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2017?
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
(Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)
Just like the first book in this Series, this book has a lot of Plot Twists. There is one particular twist that I did not expect in this book and if you’ve read this, you know what I’m talking about.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
(OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)
I don’t have too many ships, but when I do, I ship them hard. This year, my OTP has been Ronan and Adam from The Raven Cycle.
19. Favourite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
I really love the developing friendship between Noe and Vanitas, their bickering is hilarious and in this volume, Noe decides he’s sticking with Vanitas and thus a bromance is born.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
To switch it up a bit, I’m going to say Flush by Virginia Woolf. Last year, I read A Room of Ones Own and really enjoyed, so I decided to read more of her books this year.
21. Best Book You Read In 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2017?
I can’t say that I really have a fictional Crush on anyone this year.
23. Best 2017 debut you read?
I don’t think I read many 2017 Debut’s, so I’m going to say The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice & Virtue by Mackenzie.
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Spirit Contract is the Cutest Webcomic ever!
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017?
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
This one’s hard. I don’t think I can actually pick anything for this one.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2017?
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
I wanted to love Illuminae, but I didn’t, I skimmed through most of it.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2017?
Books & Munches – I love her Monthly Challenges, I highly recommend everyone to check out her blog!
2. Favourite review that you wrote in 2017?
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
I’ve said this before but my favourite discussion post I’ve made on my Blog is probably My journey with Social Anxiety, as it’s the most personal post I’ve ever written on my blog so far. Also, Manga Madness Read-a-thon & Manga Madness Readathon Recommendations
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
This year, I went to the Jasper Jones movie preview, which was followed by an in-cinema Q&A with the Director and author, then a book signing where I got the Book Signed.
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2017?
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Finding the time to read and blog! I got through a lot of audio books this year, but physical and digital books didn’t happen so much. Also, I had a really hard time writing reviews this year, I am so far behind of where I want to be with my reviews.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Blogs I stalk & you should too! This post got the most comments and Views,
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
I’m fine with everything.
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
I subscribed to the Never Never Subscription box and I love it. Also, this year I started using Canva to create Graphics and I love the way the pictures come out.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I Surpassed my Goodreads goal of 150 books this year and completed some of my 2017 Reading Challenges that I participated in.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2017 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2018?
I can’t choose just one. So, I’m going to say Anne of Green Gables. This one was on my 2016 End of the Year Book Survey for this question and I still haven’t read it, I really want to read this book. So, I’ll try to prioritise this next year and hopefully get around to reading it. Also, I wanted to read the rest of the Harry Potter series this year, I still haven’t read them. So I’ll try to read them next Year!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non-debut)?
Definitely, The Cruel Prince by Holly Black. I am so excited to read this one.
3. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
A Thousand Perfect Notes by CG Drews (Cait from Paperfury!)
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018?
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018?
Let’s see if I can commit to reviewing at least half of the books I read. I’ll try that. Read 250 books.
Wow, this really made me think about the different books I have actually read this year; I really enjoyed looking back over all of the books that I have read. I know that the reading stats could change a little, so I’ll update them if they do, but that is my year in books!
What have you read and loved? Have you read any of the books I have listed, and what did you think? I’d love to hear your thoughts, so please comment below, or if you’ve done this Survey, link it in the Comments below.